A pair of pierced natural wood chairs made in oriental style decorated with nacre lettres. Each chair is stamped. In good condition.
Gabriel-Frédéric Viardot (1830-1906) and his brother Louis-Gustave, cabinetmakers and wood carvers, opened a shop Viardot Frères et Cie offering the art and fancy pieces of furniture in 1835 rue Rambuteau in Paris. They participated in the Universal Exhibition in 1855. The year 1860 marked a break : Gabriel-Frédéric opened his own workshop at 5 rue du Grand-Chantier under the name G. Viardot, taking the direction of the family business at rue Rambuteau till 1872. He worked consecutively at 15 rue de Chaume, at 3 rue des Archives (1878) and at 36 rue Amelot in the end of the 19th century.
D. Ledoux-Lebard, Le Mobilier français du XIXe siècle, Paris, l'Amateur edition, 2000, p. 614-615
P. Thiébaut, Contribution à une histoire du mobilier japonisant : les créations de l'Escalier de Cristal in Revue de l'art, 1989, n°85, p. 76-83